What We Do
The Council for the West provide a link from the community to the Government Ministers directly responsible for the area.
Inputs into Planning and Policy Making
To influence regional policy the Council for the West has made submissions to the following.
- Enterprise Strategy Group
- Enterprise Ireland
- National Roads Authority
- Joint Oireacthas Committee on European Affairs
- Border Regional Authority
The National Rural Development Forum
The Council for the West has direct representation on this forum which meets twice a year to discuss rural development issues.
A major barrier to growth and competitiveness in this region is inadequate infrastructure and highlighting the importance of addressing this deficit
continues to be a priority for the Council for the West in 2004.
Meetings have taken place with Ministers Seamus Brennan, Dermot Ahern and
Eamon O’Cuiv and the National Roads Authority. The Council will continue to
highlight this issue in the context of the midterm review of the NDP and that
spending targets on infrastructure in the BMW region are currently behind target.
Co-operation and Linkages
Co-operation and Linkages are maintained with the Western Development Commission, BMW Assembly, County Enterprise Boards, Enterprise Ireland and IDA.
Council for the West Vision and future Strategy for the West include:
- The development of Knock International Airport as a regional development hub
- To promote and influence the routing of Corrib Gas strategically throughout the region
- To continue to monitor, highlight and influence the provision of essential infrastructure to make this region competitive
- To promote the region as an attractive location for inward investment